2011 was a year of extremes, to say the least. It was an eventful year, though hardly one I care to remember or even re-live. But it is New Year’s Eve, so a look back at the year is kinda warranted. Ed Driscoll of PJMedia has a list of then ten biggest failures of 2011. Hard to disagree with a lot of his choices, although I thought some notables 2011 failures might also include:
* The Fukushima nuclear plants in earthquake / tsunami-ravaged Japan.
* The Chevy Volt, which tells you everything you need about government-run industries. If Barack Obama ever gets his hands on the airlines, planes would be grounded or falling out of the sky every week and the airline unions would be blaming the lack of a pay raise and improved benefits for it.
* Profit-making green energy companies. Of course, if you’re a Barack Obama friend or bundler, don’t worry, you’ll still get your money, but the taxpayers and the shareholders will be fleeced.
* Boston Red Sox fans. ‘Nuff said there.
* Barack Obama, who started to see the media-created facade of charismatic leader and uniter start slipping away in the face of falling approval numbers, increasing scandal, a moribund economy, an aloofness bordering on abdication of duty, and an increasingly-deadlocked Washington who knows his re-election chances are truly up for grabs.
Still, there were some good things that happened in 2011 if you were:
* A Beach Boys fan, who saw (finally!) the release of The SMiLE Sessions, which, while not the final product (something that could never be, as not even Brian Wilson today has a clue as to what SMiLE would have sounded like if he had finished it back in 1967). But tantalizing and mesmorizing in all its complexity, craziness and beauty? Yes!
* Our property, which saw major improvements on the outside to compliment all the inside improvements of 2010. This year saw a re-design of the side yard, attractive lighting installed in the back, and the house (finally!) painted. If there’s one hope for 2012 it’s that I spend not one frickin’ $ on anything house-related. I know, good luck with that…
* My sister-in-law Tam, who now has a nice apartment of her own. The world is now officially her oyster; question is, does she grab opportunity by the scruff of its neck and do something with it in 2012? I have my own opinion, let’s see what happens.
* Mike “Vegas” Clark and Ben “The Funny Guy” Andrusaits, who emerged from the 21st annual Goodboys Invitational as champions.
Finally, before I call it a year, I would like to say to all of you who continue to make Goodboys Nation weblog a part of your regular Internet surfing habit, a big “thank you!” for your continued patronage. I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a rough sled, but hopefully I’ll be here to tell it all as The Great White Shank sees it. To all of you and your families, my best wishes and prayers for the happiest and healthiest of New Years.
Maybe a year from now we can all look back and say, “there, there, GWS, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” One can only hope.
OK, that’s enough. As is our custom every year at this time we say, take us outta here, George!